0 Shares 118 Views

Rohingya relocated to remote island against their will, rights groups say

Dec 04, 2020
0 119
A navy ship carries Rohingya to Bhasan Char island in Chattogram, Bangladesh, December 4, 2020.
A navy ship carries Rohingya to Bhasan Char island on Friday

Authorities in Bangladesh have begun relocating thousands of Rohingya refugees to a remote island despite concerns about safety and consent.

About 1,600 refugees were being transported on Friday towards Bhasan Char, a flood-prone island in the Bay of Bengal, Reuters reported.

Bangladesh says all those being moved have given consent.

But Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh told the BBC in October they did not want to be relocated to the island.

Rights groups have raised concerns that many travelling to the island on Friday were being moved against their will.

A bird's eye view of the red roofed houses. Started in 2018, a total 1440 homes have been built with adjacent kitchens and bathrooms to be shared between several familiesA bird's eye view of the red roofed houses. Started in 2018, a total 1440 homes have been built with adjacent kitchens and bathrooms to be shared between several families
A bird’s eye view of the red roofed houses on Bhasan Char

Human Rights Watch said it had interviewed 12 families whose names were on transport lists but who had not volunteered to go. The United Nations said it had been given “limited information” about the relocations and was not involved.

Bangladesh’s foreign minister Abdul Momen said on Thursday night that the government “was not taking anyone to Bhasan Char forcibly. We maintain this position”.

The Rohingya have fled Myanmar after a military crackdown which began three years ago in which UN investigators say as many as 10,000 people were killed and more than 730,000 forcibly displaced.

Hundreds of thousands have since lived in Cox’s Bazar, a sprawling refugee camp inside neighbouring Bangladesh.

A Rohingya refugee family stands by their makeshift home in BangladeshA Rohingya refugee family stands by their makeshift home in Bangladesh
Tens of thousands of Rohingya refugees have fled Myanmar for Bangladesh

Rashida Khatun, 55, told the BBC in October that her children were among an initial 300 refugees sent to Bhasan Char against their will earlier this year after spending several months at sea attempting to flee Bangladesh.

When BBC reporters visited the island in October, they were denied access to the refugees already living there.

On Thursday, a 31-year-old man told Reuters tearfully by phone as he boarded a bus from Cox’s Bazar: “They have taken us here forcefully. Three days ago, when I heard that my family is on the list, I ran away from the block, but yesterday I was caught and taken here.”

Mohammad Shamsud Douza, the deputy Bangladesh government official in charge of refugees, said the relocation was voluntary.

“They are going there happily. No-one is forced. The government has taken all measures to deal with disasters, including their comfortable living and livelihood,” he said.

In 2018, the authorities began building on Bhasan CharIn 2018, the authorities began building on Bhasan Char
In 2018, the authorities began building on the new emerged island of Bhasan Char
The construction of 1440 houses and a huge tidal surge barrier began in 2018The construction of 1440 houses and a huge tidal surge barrier began in 2018
The construction of 1440 four-person houses and a huge tidal surge barrier began in 2018

Bangladeshi authorities have been building on the island for three years, at a cost of $350m (£270m). Their aim is to relocate more than 100,000 refugees in order to ease tensions within the camps inside Bangladesh.

Earlier this year, Amnesty International released a damning report on the conditions faced by the 306 Rohingya already living on the island. The report contained allegations of cramped and unhygienic living conditions, limited food and healthcare facilities, a lack of phones in order for refugees to be able to contact their families, as well as cases of sexual harassment by both the Navy and local labourers engaging in extortion.

Commodore Abdullah al Mamum Chowdhury, a spokesman for the Navy, denied the charges. “We are taking care of them as our guests,” he said. “They are given proper food and access to all facilities.”

You may be interested

Scott Peterson faces new life sentence in wife’s 2002 death
News
37 views
News
37 views

Scott Peterson faces new life sentence in wife’s 2002 death

Webby - December 8, 2021

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Nearly 17 years after being sentenced to die, Scott Peterson will be resentenced Wednesday to life in prison in the 2002 slayings of…

In court, woman describes how Maxwell abused and groomed her when she was 14
News
47 views
News
47 views

In court, woman describes how Maxwell abused and groomed her when she was 14

Webby - December 8, 2021

NEW YORK (AP) — One of Ghislaine Maxwell’s accusers testified Tuesday that she was just 14 years old when the British socialite had her undress, fondled her…

Woman says Ghislaine Maxwell sexually abused her at age 14
News
43 views
News
43 views

Woman says Ghislaine Maxwell sexually abused her at age 14

Webby - December 8, 2021

Larry Neumeister and Tom Hays  |  Associated PressShow Caption Hide Caption British woman testifies about alleged grooming by MaxwellA British woman has testified that Ghislaine Maxwell pressured…

Leave a Comment

Most from this category